(adapted from Cook’s Illustrated)
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- 2 tbsp low fat sour cream
- 1 tbsp chocolate syrup
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg white
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Line an 8 inch square baking pan with foil and spray with vegetable oil spray. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Mix flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Melt chocolate and butter in microwave for 1 to 3 minutes, stirring every 1 minute. Let it cool slightly.
3. Add sugar, sour cream, chocolate syrup, egg, egg white and vanilla to melted chocolate mixture. Fold in flour mixture with rubber spatula in 3 additions until just incorporated.
4. Spread batter into prepared pan (batter will be thick) and sprinkle chopped walnuts on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out with a few crumbs attached (For a truly fudgy consistency, do not overbake). Cool completely in pan set on wire rack for about 2 hours. Cut into 2 inch squares.